Authentic Mexican Cooking Classes
Inspired by her grandmother from an early age, Miriam mixes her authentic Mexican roots with her Cordon-Bleu training.
Our mission is to de-mystify authentic Mexican cuisine, simplify it and inspire you to try these dishes and techniques at home.
There is so much more to Mexican food than what you might imagine so join us as we show you how diverse and delicious this cuisine can be. Taking influence from Chef Miriam’s grandmother and our travels around Mexico for inspiration, you will learn about traditional methods, how to combine flavors, plating guidelines and why it is so important to focus on the local ingredients.
We know we can motivate you with our colorful ingredients, traditional cooking methods and true Mexican hospitality!
Our Classes are for foodies of all walks of life and every skill level. You will observe as Chef Miriam cooks up wonderful Mexican dishes. Thereafter, you will learn about tequila and Mezcal and how to make the perfect cocktail followed by a hands-on experience creating delicious dishes from the menu at your station, under the guidance of Chef Miriam and her staff.
Miriam’s Cooking Classes feature a three-hour class in beautiful Puerto Vallarta’s city center. You’ll learn how to make a traditional six-course meal composed of appetizers, homemade salsas, main dishes and a dessert of chocolate and/or tropical fruits.
Q & A
- WHO TEACHES THE CLASSES?
- Our cooking classes are taught by Le Cordon Bleu-certified Chef Miriam Flores. Chef Miriam Flores focuses on sharing the experience of growing up on a sustainable ranch in Jalisco, Mexico, where she learned to cook and farm from her grandmother. Students will learn smart strategies and techniques such as dry roasting chilies and grinding spices to acquire a more authentic flavor.
- WHERE ARE THE CLASSES LOCATED?
- The classes are held at Chef Miriam’s private home that is COVID-safe and follows all the sanitary rules that the Mexican health and safety department demand, plus more. Please email us for the address a day before arrival, or call +52 (322) 194-7142.
- There are about 25 steps to go up to the house where we will be dining, so please be aware of this if you have mobility issues or recent surgery.
- HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN EACH CLASS?
- Each class is a small group of 4-10 people, working in pairs, so that everyone can enjoy the hands-on experience. Please keep in mind that we will only run a class if we have a minimum of 4 people. We might ask you to come the next day or so if you are the only 1 or 2 people signing up.
- WHAT IS THE AGENDA LIKE?
- 5pm Arrival: ready for the class to begin at 5pm.
- 5:15 Welcome cocktail with demonstration
- 5:45 Class introduction
- 6:00 Ingredient demonstration
- 6:15 Spice presentation and hands-on sauce instruction using a mortar and pestle. Hands-on preparation of 3 courses
- 7:15 Guests sit down for dinner and serving of the main course with wine
- 7:45 Dessert with table-side demo
- 8:00 Closing comments
- WHAT WILL I BE COOKING?
Pacific SHRIMP STUFFED AVOCADO
Roasted SWEET POTATO With PEANUT CRUMB
Organic CHICKEN TAMALES made with heirloom corn
COSTEÑO CHILE MOLE Amarillo
Dessert:IMPORTANT: FOOD ALLERGIES AND DIETARY REQUIREMENTS Please let us know in advance of any food allergies or dietary requirements (and state whether an allergy or preference when booking), and we will do our best to accommodate you. It is best to write this in the booking notes when purchasing a ticket. We are happy to accommodate vegetarian and vegan diets (where possible) as long as we know this in advance of the class. Need further assistance? If you are having problems with reservations or have some additional questions, please send us an e mail at: [email protected] OR give us a call at +52 (322) 194-7142
CONCHA sweet bread & drink of the gods Oaxaca CHOCOLATE
- WHAT PRECAUTIONS ARE YOU TAKING FOR COVID-19?
- The safety and well-being of our clientele and staff are of utmost importance to us. We have trained our staff with all of the latest procedures mandated by the Secretaria de Salud (Health Department). At the moment, face-masks, and surgical gloves are a part of our uniform, and staff are constantly being checked for high temperatures. In addition, our classes are held in an open-air kitchen that is very well-ventilated, and class size is limited to ensure appropriate social distancing. We have also require frequent hand-washing.
What People Say?
We truly enjoyed our experience with Miriam and she was very accommodating to our family. Covered some culinary history, regional food styles, some preparation, and ingredient instruction and how the ingredients affect the recipe. Miriam provides a great recipe book as well and a tasting of margarita and Mexican wine is also included!
My wife and I love attending this class, and it was our second class with Chef Miriam in PV. ALWAYS a great setting (seaside view to DIE for!) and menu to prepare. A hands-on class with step by step instruction and storytelling. Then the best part? You get a FULL dinner to eat at the end! And don't forget the Margarita session and tasting to start the class. We also enjoyed three regional wines with the meal. Very COVID safe, we were spaced out and wore masks when not eating. Chef Miriam is very careful to ensure all of the students are safe and comfortable attending the class. WIll attend again in 2022 for sure! :).
My partner and I had an absolutely wonderful time cooking with Miriam yesterday. First the setting is magical, just a beautiful view in a gorgeous kitchen looking out over the sea. Second, Miriam is a delight - she taught us about the culture of Mexican cooking, her personal family story and incorporated her elevated knowledge of fine dining. She also taught us to prepare the BEST margarita I've ever had. It was very hands on, and we were able to make and enjoy mojo d'ajo sea bass and manta ray (a technique I'll be using in my own kitchen - it was much easier than I'd imagined and so delicious), tamales (another thing I'd love to try my hand at, but had always been intimidated) and an orange mole sauce. To close she educated us on cacao, the traditional methods of prep, but also served us a DIVINE modern dessert made of cacao....
Okay, why do we travel? We travel to experience another culture: the art, the music, the language and of course, the food. Miriam doesn't just show us how to cook, she shows us where the recipes come from, and how she learned them from her grandmother growing up in a little village near PV. She's a professionally trained, Cordon Bleu certified chef, who has lived and worked in the U.S., Spain, Ireland, France and of course, Mexico. I've taken Miriam's class twice. Once with our daughter, and once with my wife. The food is excellent, the other guests are always fun, but mostly, it's interesting to learn the the history of southern Mexican cuisine. Miriam's Mexican cooking class will strike a cord in your heart for Mexican culture through food. Good food, good people, good times. It's why we travel.
Miriam is charming, is well trained, is a gifted teacher, a natural hostess and a very hard worker. She brings the joys of growing up in the mountains of Mexico where she learned how to live off the land in a small community - to the kitchen classroom. She has amazing insight into using Mexico's vast ingredients in her culinary creations. This is our second class with her and we made turkey filled tamales and a mole sauce with sides. She's a pleasure to learn from - just go!
A good friend suggested we take a cooking class from Miriam's Mexican Kitchen while in Puerto Vallarta. She had taken the class twice and raved about it. So we took the class on our last night in this beautiful place, and thoroughly enjoyed it! Miriam is all about keeping cooking fresh and simple, and you can tell how much she treasures her country, and the riches it produces for the kitchen. Had the most delicious meal on the terrace with the two other couples we shared the evening with. Great wine with dinner, and her staff is first-class. Beginning the evening learning how to make a killer margarita with Andres doesn't hurt either! Go--you won't regret it. And order her cookbook too--we did! Planning to pick it up from Miriam in Portland this summer.
What a fun and informative evening we had at Miriam’s cooking class last night. The evening began with Andreas teaching us how to make the perfect margarita and was followed by Miriam enthusiastically sharing her passion and knowledge of Mexican cuisine all the while infused with humour and a beautiful setting. Her incredibly capable and charming assistant Lia, topped off a perfect evening! Highly recommend this experience to all!